Expecting the Unexpected

September 7th, 2015 jpvoze17

One aspect of my study abroad experience I’ve learned to embrace is the invitation to something, somewhere, with someone. It happens surprisingly often that I am invited somewhere by my host family but have no idea what it is, where it is, or what is required of me. This method of exploration has worked so far, and has brought me to the famous French poet Ronsard’s gardens with Sylvie and her friends, to a prayer group with my host mom Isabelle to hear two seminarians give testimonies, and now to the movies to see Mission Impossible with a group of French guys and an American student from another school. It is a big change from being at Holy Cross to having a clear schedule and stumbling upon things to do!

When Isabelle and I went to the prayer group last Wednesday and listened to the priests-to-be speak, we got to talk to them after. One, Louis-Gustav, is 22 and lived in Texas for 5 years, and was happy to speak in English with me. Yesterday, he came to our door (granted, he’s our neighbor two floors up) and invited me to the movies with another American student (from Michigan!) and his friends. So at 6:30pm (18h30), I went up two floors (I also got confused and knocked on someone else’s door and met some bemused, but nice, people who directed me up a floor) and had dinner with Paris (student from Michigen) and a bunch of French guys who I’ve never met before. And then we watched Mission Impossible in English with French subtitles. What?

Anyway, it was an awesome time because it was unexpected and totally different than my likely family dinner and Netflix night. And that’s such a cool part of this experience thus far. I’ve learned that the feeling I’ve been having here is discomfort (not in a bad way!) and these happenings can make that feeling worse or better, but it’s being uncomfortable here that is keeping me in awe of everything around me. I’ve moved to Strasbourg and have been overwhelmed and homesick a bit, but I’ve also grown to really appreciate my host family, gotten to see the city and university some, and am excited to be a real student here! I’ve also seen myself grow as certain situations I realize I do differently than I would before arriving. For example, when I attended a moving up/bridging ceremony for the European Girl Scouts, (Guides D’Europe) I was chosen (perhaps unwillingly) to be part of a game in front of about 50 scouts and their families. I had to play this game in French and made everyone laugh with my utter confusion and missteps, but as I finished, I was laughing and smiling, totally unconcerned that I just made a fool of myself in front of the entire place. Moments like those are when I see growth and my appreciation for this experience.

I shall finish off with a few pictures of the jolie ville Strasbourg!

Strasbourg 020

The cathedral! France is full of amazing churches and cathedrals.

Strasbourg 072 Strasbourg 090

Love and Peace~

Jessica

PS I love you all. Thank you so so much for reading this and for supporting me always.

Jessica Vozella '17

• Studies: Religious studies major with a French minor in the College Honors Program
  • Hometown: Wakefield, Mass.
  •  
  • Read more about Jessica »