Irlande et Ecosse!!

November 6th, 2015 jpvoze17

Ahh… Vacation is over. Darn.

But What. A. Week. As previously expressed, it’s actually super crazy that I got the chance to go to Ireland and Scotland. And so now I want to tell you about it!

I left on a bus to Paris Saturday, the 24th, which then connected to a flight to Shannon, Ireland. Sinead, Mark, and I surprisingly didn’t have any problems traveling or anything (I don’t know, itsurprised me everything went well). There was a lot of traveling between places, but it was all worth it. For instance, we took an hour cab ride to Galway, Ireland, after landing in Shannon (the cars drive on the left side of the road!). In Galway, we stayed in a Bed and Breakfast which was awesomeeee. The first encounter with the Irish was the man who owned the B&B serving us breakfast and explaining how we catch a bus. So. Nice. Overall, I was blown away by how friendly (sociable) most people were that we met in Ireland and Scotland. And I cannot believe how happy I was to speak in English. It was like my personality had been slightly repressed by the inability to speak French fluently, and now all the Irish had to hear me talk more than I needed to.

Toussaints 006Toussaints 013Toussaints 020

In Galway we saw the magnificent Cliffs of Moher. Don’t tell my mom, but there are no guard rails on the cliffs and you can walk right up to the edge and look over (I may have done that… it blew my mind). 700 feet high, the cliffs were truly incredible. During that day, we also got to see Irish countryside and eat in an Irish pub for lunch (ahh how I missed mashed potatoes).

Toussaints 035

Toussaints 095

After Galway, we traversed Ireland in less than 3 hours (wow.) and arrived in the city of Dublin. From the minute I got off the bus, I was sold. I didn’t want to leave the city of lively pubs, friendly souls, and impressive momuments. And let’s not forget the fact that I got to see one of my good friends, Emily! As she said, from Wheeler 319 (roommates) to Trinity College (where she studies), Dublin, Ireland! It was wonderful seeing her!

We spent our time in Dublin well, seeing the Guinness Storehouse, Trinity College, Grafton Street, and drinking hot chocolate and seeing live Irish performers play in the pubs. What a animated city!

Toussaints 232Toussaints 299 Toussaints 224

The last leg of our journey was to Ecosse (Scotland)! We visited Edinburgh for two days. The city astounded me! Not like anything I expected- all the buildings reminded me of castles, and the entire city is on a hill! We got to visit Mary King’s Close, which is the underground remains of real streets and houses that have since been covered and turned into foundation of the present day Edinburgh. Additionally, we hiked up King Arthur’s Seat, which was a lot longer and higher and craggier than we expected, yet we felt accomplished when we arrived at the top!

Toussaints 314Toussaints 337Toussaints 388 Toussaints 485

Sinead and I spent Halloween in Paris, mostly in a Starbucks drinking Pumpkin Spice Lattes to celebrate the holiday. Our bus departed Paris at 9:30pm and arrived at 3am (ekkk) Saturday morning. I finally crawled into bed at 4am and didn’t get out of my bed til 11:45am! All Saints Day was met with Netflix and mass at 7pm, which was awesome as I understood a lot of the homily! Then I came home to my host family! They had also been on vacation, and dinner was a great time, I missed them!

Toussaints 529

Anyway, here we are, back at it! Hope your week is going well!

Love and Peace,

Jessica

One Response to “Irlande et Ecosse!!”

1. Cyndy says:

NO GAURD RAILS !!! Thanks for not telling me until you got back Yikes !!! XOXOXO

Jessica Vozella '17

• Studies: Religious studies major with a French minor in the College Honors Program
  • Hometown: Wakefield, Mass.
  •  
  • Read more about Jessica »